WITH so many lured to visit Australia in China’s New Year to buy our Real Estate … how can it be prevented?
Like SARS … with a large jump in arrivals by air and urbanisation … will quickly spread from our airports to high-rise high density … to shopping centres … and kindergartens …
RELATED ARTICLE … WHY are Australia’s Major Cities increasingly vulnerable to future Influenza Pandemics?
*A large jump in arrivals by air and urbanisation are the two main factors that are making it increasingly difficult to protect against fast-spreading diseases.
–local population growth is outstripping the capacity of urban infrastructure to deal with disease outbreaks.
China’s new virus could come to Australia, warn experts
By Bill Birtles on AMShare
Health authorities are warning a fast-spreading virus that has already claimed two lives in China could come to Australia.
62 people have been diagnosed with the new form of viral pneumonia, but some overseas researchers believe the infection rate is much higher.
The US and Japan are among countries that have started screening passengers from central China, but as the lunar new year travel rush approaches, Australia is yet to begin doing so.
Duration: 3min 29secBroadcast: Mon 20 Jan 2020, 8:15am
Li Gang, director, Wuhan Centre for Disease Control
Huang Chaolin, senior hospital official
Professor Steven Riley, infectious diseases expert, Imperial College, London
UPDATE … CHINA CONFIRMS HUMAN TO HUMAN TRANSMISSION OF NEW CORONAVIRUS
- Four new pneumonia cases sparks concern ahead of busy Chinese New Year travel period China reports four more cases of pneumonia believed to be caused by a new coronavirus strain, causing rising concern globally that a disease health officials do not yet fully understand could spread during the busy Chinese New Year.
- Thailand finds second case of new Chinese virus, authorities confident spread can be containedThe latest patient is from China’s central city of Wuhan, which has reported 41 cases of pneumonia potentially linked to the new type of virus, with two deaths, as hospitals worldwide scramble to guard against any spread.
- WHO warns mysterious China coronavirus linked to SARS could spread as new case detectedA Chinese woman is quarantined in Thailand with a mystery strain of coronavirus, the first time the virus has been detected outside China.
- Mysterious illness in China may be new virus linked to SARSMore than 50 pneumonia cases in China may be due to a newly emerging member of the family of viruses that causes the deadly SARS and MERS outbreaks, the World Health Organisation says.
- China yet to identify cause of pneumonia outbreak as cases rise to 44 Chinese health authorities are trying to identify what is causing an outbreak of pneumonia in the central city of Wuhan, officials say, as the tally of cases rises.
Image: ABC News: Ewan Gilbert
LIKE CAAN ON FACEBOOK!
DISCOVER MORE ON CAAN WEBSITE: