‘THERE WILL BE JOB LOSSES’: ABC Managing Director confirms staff to go following Budget Freeze

THE ABC had found $17 MILLION in savings to date … but as to the

government …

IS this how you silence your critics?

IS this a slow death for the national broadcaster … gradual strangulation?

IS this payback? Revenge for having the audacity to question the government’s agenda … that being so ideologically driven it is somehow not okay to seek answers that explain their ‘reasoning’ …

‘There will be job losses’: ABC managing director confirms staff to go following budget freeze

By political reporter Stephanie Dalzell

23 OCTOBER 2019

Two men and a woman wearing formal clothing sit in front of microphones in a wood panelled room.

PHOTO: ABC managing director David Anderson told Senate Estimates he could not say how many positions would be cut. (ABC News)

RELATED STORY: ABC should sell Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane properties and move to regions, senator says

RELATED STORY: Ita Buttrose names ABC’s new managing director

RELATED STORY: Former ABC boss Michelle Guthrie gets $730,000 in out-of-court settlement

Some ABC staff will lose their jobs as the broadcaster deals with the Federal Government’s budget freeze, the national broadcaster’s boss has confirmed.

Key points:

  • Mr Anderson did not say how many staff or from where in the ABC the jobs would be cut
  • He told Senate Estimates consideration would be given to keeping regional and remote jobs
  • The Government has frozen the ABC’s budget for three years, at a cost of $83.7 million

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s managing director David Anderson made the comments in Senate Estimates on Tuesday night, under questioning about the impact of the Coalition’s budget decision.

“There will be job losses,” Mr Anderson said.

“It’s not something I can quantify at this point in time, there’s still more work to be done.

Some of it relates to people’s employment, some of it does not — efficiency comes in many forms.”

The Federal Government last year announced it would freeze the ABC’s annual funding at the same level for three years — a move that will cost the broadcaster $83.7 million.

Follow this story to get email or text alerts from ABC News when there is a future article following this storyline. Follow this story

The cut will be phased in over three years, starting with an almost $15 million cut in 2019-20, about $28 million in 2020-21 and just over $41 million in 2021-22.

Mr Anderson acknowledged it was a period of uncertainty for staff.

“For me to be able to say ‘yes I believe there will be staff losses’ — but not to be able to say how many, or where from — I certainly appreciate is quite uncertain,” he said.

Mr Anderson said the organisation had found $17 million in savings to-date but more work needed to be done.

“I don’t think we’ll be able to close that gap without losing staff.”

However, he told the committee consideration would be given to keeping jobs in regional and remote areas.

“One of our priorities for the future is certainly to remain as local as possible,” he said.

“Our role is to reflect the culture and community of the country back to itself.

“You struggle to do that unless you are local.”

Contact Stephanie Dalzell

SOURCE: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-23/abc-boss-confirms-staff-to-go-following-budget-cuts/11629336

CAAN FACEBOOK:

https://www.facebook.com/Community-Action-Alliance-for-NSW-744190798994541/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

WEBSITE:

https://caanhousinginequalitywithaussieslockedout.wordpress.com/