TWO companies short listed … Multiplex – Australian owned and John Holland formerly Australia’s engineering construction and DEFENCE PROJECTS COMPANY now owned by the China State-based company CCCC … isn’t that a surprise?
… isn’t that a surprise?
VIEW these links for an important background on what happened dating back to 2013, and in 2015:
When John Holland chief executive Joe Barr walked into the boardroom of Canadian construction group Aecon in November, he faced 40 anxious people in suits.
Aecon had just been acquired by China Communications Construction Company (CCCC) – the same Chinese group that had paid $1.15 billion to buy John Holland two years earlier. (Paywall)
Two companies shortlisted to complete Sydney stadium project
August 8, 2019
Two companies have emerged as the frontrunners in the bid to rebuild Sydney Football Stadium as the NSW government pushes to get the $729 million project back on track.
Sports Minister John Sidoti on Thursday evening confirmed Multiplex and John Holland had been invited to participate in the tender process to deliver stage two of the beleaguered project.
The stadium rebuild was thrown into disarray late last month with the departure of construction giant Lendlease, which was controversially offered the contract to rebuild the stadium before detailed designs were finalised.
The government said Lendlease had not been able to meet its requirements to rebuild the Moore Park stadium on budget by 2022.
Multiplex could be the most likely contender for the job: it was shortlisted behind Lendlease in the original tender and reconfigured ANZ Stadium following the Sydney Olympics.
The Chinese-owned John Holland Group has operations across Australia, south east Asia and New Zealand. It constructed the Great Southern Stand at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the early 1990s.
In recent years it was involved in a public fight with the Western Australian Government over the construction of Perth Children’s Hospital, which was plagued with problems and delays.
A W Edwards, which completed the MA Noble, Don Bradman and Dally Messenger stands at the Sydney Cricket Ground, was also invited to bid.
“The winning bidder will be announced later this year, following the receipt of stage two planning approval and completion of the tender evaluation,” Mr Sidoti said.
“The two shortlisted parties have a wealth of experience in delivering high quality infrastructure projects.”
Lendlease will continue to oversee stage one demolition work, which the government says is scheduled for completion by the end of the year
Natassia is a journalist for The Sydney Morning Herald.