SYDNEY TOLD TO EXPECT WATER RESTRICTIONS ‘SOON’ AS DAM LEVELS DIVE

 

 

SYDNEY DAMS sit at 53.9 per cent full  … the Cordeaux Dam is sitting on 40 per cent full …

Burrendong Dam at 6 per cent … the Keepit Dam at 0.9 per cent full 

IS the NSW Government unable to correlate the impact of 192,000 extra homes and their inhabitants in Sydney within five years? 

-another 10,000 for Ryde!

 

-govt projections for 725,000 homes in 20 years

WHY?

 

Image may contain: sky, skyscraper, cloud, tree, car and outdoor

CAAN Photo:  Lachlan’s Line, Macquarie Park; 2700 dwellings in this one Precinct development by Greenland

 

DESAL Plants are prohibitively expensive to run, environmentally damaging and can only operate on the coast …

VIEW:

https://caanhousinginequalitywithaussieslockedout.wordpress.com/2019/05/17/almost-200000-new-homes-in-sydney-by-2023-but-not-evenly-spread/

Sydney told to expect water restrictions ‘soon’ as dam levels dive  Peter Hannam

The Berejiklian government will review planned water restrictions for Sydney with the possibility that curbs on use will be tougher than presently detailed in the city’s Metropolitan Water Plan.

Cabinet is expected to review the water plans next Monday to determine its response to plunging reservoir levels as the dry spell intensifies.

Cordeaux Dam is sitting on 40 per cent full, while the overall network of Sydney's dams is just below 54 per cent full.
Cordeaux Dam is sitting on 40 per cent full, while the overall network of Sydney’s dams is just below 54 per cent fullCREDIT:NICK MOIR

 

 

Most of NSW has had very much below average rainfall for the past two years, and Sydney’s April-May period is on track to be its second driest in 160 years, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

“The current depletion rate and drought conditions mean Sydney should expect formal water restrictions soon if there is no rain,” a spokeswoman for Water Minister Melinda Pavey said.

Sydney’s dams have dropped about a quarter of their volume in the past year to sit at 53.9 per cent full as of Wednesday, WaterNSW data show.

At current rates of decline, the first stage of water restrictions would take effect in about 10 weeks’ time when capacity drops below half. Planning for the second stage of the Sydney Desalination Plant would also begin, according to the Metropolitan Water Plan.

However, attendees at the Ozwater’19 conference this month learned the planned first stage of water curbs may be insufficient. They entail merely enforcing the so-called Water Wise Rules, such as avoiding watering gardens between 10am and 4pm to avoid evaporation losses, and installing trigger hoses.

Stuart Khan, a professor in the University of NSW’s School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, said few people did such watering anyway and most already had such trigger devices.

Speakers at the conference made it clear the public had already taken up many of the behavioral changes prompted by the last big dry event, he said.

Water engineers “don’t any expect anywhere near the elasticity in water use we saw during the Millennium Drought”, Professor Khan said.

 

Dam levels were “dropping faster than they have in decades”, a spokesman for Sydney Water said. “Over the last two years dam levels have dropped faster than the average rate during the Millennium Drought.”

Average water use is now about 200 litres per person a day in Sydney, down from around 250 litres before the big drought set in.

Total water demand in the first four months of 2019 was about 8 per cent lower than the same period last year – 192 billion litres compared with 209 billion litres. That was one sign consumers were already “doing their bit” to curtail water use, especially during the past summer, the Sydney Water spokesman said.

Ms Pavey said it was important that Sydneysiders understood the scale of the impact of the drought in NSW.

This week, Dubbo in north-west NSW will finally join neighbouring towns by imposing water restrictions on its population of about 40,000.

It will jump straight to level-2 restrictions while other regions are facing level-4 or worse.

Ms Pavey welcomed Dubbo’s move and noted “the significant sacrifices made by all water users, including the 30 per cent quarantining of carryover water announced in September”, her spokeswoman said.

“This ensured the high-security town supply has been sustained at 100 per cent allocation to this point, despite record-low inflows into Burrendong Dam over the past two years,” she said.

Burrendong Dam is sitting at 6 per cent, while the Keepit Dam on the Namoi River, is sitting at 0.9 per cent full, according to WaterNSW.

 

 

Peter Hannam writes on environment issues for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

SOURCE:  https://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/sydney-told-to-expect-water-restrictions-soon-as-dam-levels-dive-20190522-p51q6j.html

CAAN FACEBOOK:

https://www.facebook.com/Community-Action-Alliance-for-NSW-744190798994541/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

WEBSITE:

https://caanhousinginequalitywithaussieslockedout.wordpress.com/